"Hike around the Quilotoa crater" Top 5 Page for this destination Hike around the Quilotoa crater Tip by MalenaN

• Hike around the Quilotoa crater - Laguna Quilotoa
    by MalenaN
      The clouds are coming in over the crater
    by MalenaN

The weather was not so nice this day, it was cloudy and a little rainy, but it was the only day I had for the hike around the crater. After breakfast I set off, but first I asked which direction that was the best to take and I was advised to walk around the crater anti-clockwise.

Along the first stretch of the path there was a lot of flowers by the sides. I saw a woman working on her field and later met two children with a dog. About halfway I met a tourist who also walked around the crater, but in the opposite direction from me. When I came to the sandy patch, where the path goes down towards Chugchilán I saw a few other tourists, and later I caught up with a woman from Quilotoa. She had gone to Chugchilán very early in the morning by bus or car, and was now walking back by foot. I helped her carry her plastic bags the last bit to Quilotoa and I must say they were quite heavy. How hard work it must be for her to go up in the middle of the night to go to Chugchilán and than walk back to Quilotoa with packing and in those shoes, with a small heel, that the women were here.

The views were not so great as the previous day. At one point the whole lagoon was covered in fog and couldn?t be seen, but it soon went away.

This walk is said to take 5-6 hours, but because of the weather I walked on and only stopped to take photos and look at flowers and the view. So for me the hike around the crater took 3h 45 minutes. If it had been a nicer day I would have brought lunch and a book and would have looked for a beautiful spot to sit down in.

• Written Oct 22, 2011

Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?