VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Cup of Coffee on St Marks Square" Venice Tourist Trap Tip by GentleSpirit

Venice Tourist Traps: 254 reviews and 264 photos

cup of coffee on Piazza san Marco
by GentleSpirit

I knew it would be a tourist trap. I knew it would be frightfully expensive. Alas, i sat down to have a cup of coffee and watch all the tourists make fools of themselves with the pigeons. It was certainly memorable, the most expensive cup of coffee (9 euro) I have had anywhere in the world. I savored every single drop. Why not!

Fun Alternatives: Don't sit on the square or find a smaller bar away from the square, the coffee will taste just as good.

• Updated Jun 26, 2013

• dhamija.deepak's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM

smtime its happns bt i knw u enjoy this moment...

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 4:48 AM

:) We've all done it, but so long as you're aware that you're being ripped off and are still enjoying it,then so what?
    I recently paid USD7 for a cup of tea in the Virunga Lodge in Rwanda ... and it was such a gorgeous place that I didn't resent a cent! Having the cheapest item on the menu was the only way that I could afford to experience such an exclusive hotel in a stunning setting, and in my book, it was money well spent!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Wow! And I thought a 5 euro gelato was a ripoff ):

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

We had our coffee on the square...we enjoyed the experience ....our coffee spot had a pianist as well...
    M

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I did the same many years ago, totally worth it :)

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Have you been to Venice?