"Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa" Top 5 Page for this destination Hostal Cabanas Quilotoa Tip by MalenaN

• - Laguna Quilotoa
      My room at Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa
      My room at Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa
      The bathroom at Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa
    by MalenaN
      Sitting by the woodstove in the common room
    by MalenaN

I stayed two nights at Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa where I paid $12 per night (July 2011) including breakfast and dinner. The rooms are simple but my room had a private bathroom with hot water in the shower (which you need as it is very cold at this altitude). There was also a wood stove in which they lit a fire for me after dinner each night. The room had a second floor with two more beds. I brought two blankets from one of the beds down to my bed, so in total I had four blankets and the bedcover and I did not frees during the night. There was no table or chair in the room, but some hangers to put the clothes on.

There is a big common room in a newer part. I think this part of the hostal is called Hostal Alpaca and here the rooms were $25 per person and night. There are sofas and armchairs around two woodstoves and on the woodstove there is hot water so you can make yourself tea. In one corner there are souvenirs and paintings for sale. The paintings are made by the owner Humberto Latacunga, a Tigua artist.

Breakfast and dinner is served in the common room. Breakfast was served at 7.30 and we got coffee, tea, egg, fruits, yoghurt, bread, butter, jam and oatmeal (which you can mix with hot water to get a porridge). Dinner was served after 19.00 and there was first a soup, then a main plate (chicken again) and a desert. As in Chugchilan and Isinliví drinks were not included.
Update 2012: Also in July 2012 I stayed at Hostal Cabañas Quilotoa, but this time only one night. For one night I paid $15 including breakfast and dinner. If I had stayed two nights the price would have been $25 for both nights. This year it was problems in the area with the electricity. During my stay there was no electricity at all in Quilotoa, and that also meant there was no water. It was also very windy and colder than the previous year so I really longed for a hot shower. Well, at least I got a bucket with cold water in the bathroom. In the evening we ate in the light of a few candles.

For the night I got a fire in the wood stove and a candle. When I later wanted to put more firewood in the stove I couldn?t open the door and it soon got very cold. The sheets didn?t feel clean and later during the night I found somebody else?s head torch in the bed (so the sheets had definitely not been changed). I stayed in the same room as the previous year, but they had done a few changes with the room.

Address: Via Quilotoa, Village Quilotoa, Provincia de Cotopaxi, Laguna Quilotoa, Ecuador
Directions: At the village entrance.
Phone: 09 - 212 5962
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Updated Feb 7, 2013

Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?