Jalisco Café: "What?s the hurry?" Top 5 Page for this destination Silver City Restaurant Tip by toonsarah

Silver City Restaurants: 9 reviews and 10 photos

Chris in Jalisco Café
      Chris in Jalisco Café
      My delicious grab tostadas
    by toonsarah

The Jalisco Café occupies a row of three or four old shops at the bottom end of the main street, Bullard. Having checked out the several restaurants at the southern end of town, near our accommodation, we settled on this one, as it looked welcoming and had an appealing New Mexican menu. It also seemed very popular with local families and was pretty busy ? both good signs, we thought.

On entering we found ourselves in the first ?shop? in the row, now just an entrance lobby with seating for waiting customers. We were welcomed and shown to a table in the middle section, where most other tables were already occupied. Our server was friendly and explained a couple of dishes on the menu, as well as recommending a good Mexican beer (Dos Equis, which became a staple on our trip).

Favorite Dish: We started with complimentary chips and salsa, but had barely started on these when our main courses arrived. Chris had chosen the chicken enchiladas with red chilli sauce ? hot and tasty. I?d gone for a slightly riskier choice but it paid off ? I really loved the crab tostadas which would be worthy of a more up-market, pricier restaurant than this. Two crispy shells spread with a layer of guacamole and piled high with plenty of crab meat, chopped mango, red onion etc, all drizzled with red chilli sauce ? delicious!

While we were still enjoying these dishes our waitress came over to ask if we wanted dessert. We said that we wouldn?t know until we had finished our mains, which she accepted, but she was back again the moment we put down our cutlery. Although full, we decided that we would try a sopapilla. She willingly brought one ? a large puffy bread with honey to drizzle inside. But she also brought the bill, and it seemed clear that we were being encouraged to leave, especially when the now-empty tables around us were cleared and chairs upturned on some.

Please don?t think we were eating late ? this was at 8.10 pm (the restaurant closes at 8.30 pm which seems early by European standards but is fairly normal in small-town America). So we got the message, paid our bill (a reasonable $35) and left, assuming ourselves to be one of the last to go. Imagine our surprise when we walked past the far section of the restaurant, which had been hidden to our sight, to see it with tables full and meals still coming out. We couldn?t help but suspect that our waitress had a date that evening and was keen to get away early! Well, never mind ? we had enjoyed our meal and as the night was young we headed to the nearby Buffalo Bar ... but that?s another story, to be told as a ?Nightlife? tip.

If it hadn't been for the poor impression made by our server I think I would have rated this restaurant as 4 star rather than 3, as the food was very good. So do give it a try - you may be luckier than we were!

Address: 103 South Bullard Street, Silver City
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Right at the south end of Bullard, on the west side
Phone: %s3%cb (575) 388-2060
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Written Oct 20, 2011

More Restaurants in Silver City (1)

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Silver City?