"Day 6" Kilimanjaro National Park Things to Do Tip by hayward68

Toilet hut at Barafu Camp
      View back along trail from Karanga Valley
      Misty, cloudy Barafu Camp
    by hayward68

It rained most of the night at Karanga Valley and the morning was wet and cold and not very clear. What I wasn't expecting when I climbed out of my tent was the vertigo I experienced from the height and the slant of the camping area. I climbed out, reeled and almost fell over. Managed to get my bearings and headed tor the toilet hut where I met up with the Canadian couple I had met at Baranco Camp. They were doing toilet sentry duty as the door at this hut did not shut and you really wanted somebody outside to guard while you were inside. One of them provided that for me when it was my turn and when I came out a German woman I'd met on the trail the day before was waiting. I did sentry duty for her and then headed back to pack up.
This was the day we headed to Barafu Camp. It was not a long distance to travel but the altitude was really kicking in a this point and I was making about 1 step for every breath by the time we reached the camp. At this pace I was still outpacing others on the trail which really amazed me as I'd been one of the slowest most of the way along the route.
At Barafu I signed in at the rangers hut and explored a little, not much as breathing was difficult. The toilet huts were perched on a cliff, long drop toilets! and were probably the cleanest along the route.
I actually saw mouse like rodents at this height. They were scurrying amongst the rocks, certainly hadn't expected to see any wildlife at this altitude. It was cold but not unbearable by any means.
I was quite happy to see where our tents were setup for the night as some had their tents much further down and I didn't want to have to climb back up from there.
The clouds started to roll in and it felt quite damp when that happened.
Most people at Barafu will climb at night but we weren't supposed to climb until the morning.
Dinner that night was spaghetti but I couldn't eat that much, was just so tired.
I spent most of my time in my tent trying to sleep but was jolted out of sleep in the night when another guide woke his climbers up by yelling into their tent. Unfortunately they were right by my tent. I almost yelled at him to shut the hell up as some people were trying to sleep. Managed to restrain myself but I was sorely tempted.

• Updated Oct 20, 2011

Comments

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?