"Day 4" Kilimanjaro National Park Things to Do Tip by hayward68

Along the way to Lava Tower from Shira 2
      Along the way to Lava Tower from Shira 2
      Bird at lunch stop near Lava Tower
    by hayward68
      View of Western Breach Route, scariest on mt.
      Lava Tower
      Baranco Camp
    by hayward68

Day 4 did not go well for my friend. He had been extremely thirsty through the night and had to get our guide up for more water during the wee hours. In the morning he was feeling awful, he'd been sick the night before and his breathing wasn't sounding good but he thought he could continue so we set off for Barranco Camp via Lava Tower.
It wasn't long before my friend really started labouring. He was really hiking slow and breathing very heavy. We stopped to see if he was going to be okay. I didn't want him to push himself if he was starting to feel the effects of the altitude. It was eventually decided, after an agonizing decision by him, that he should cut his trek short and get off the mountain with our assistant guide. They descended to the ranger hut at Shira 2 and called for the ambulance, unfortunately, though the ambulance had been sitting in the distance when we set off that day by the time he returned to the hut it was already gone getting somebody else. Poor guy had to wait several hours for it to return. The rangers gave him soup which did not stay down but he eventually made his way back to Moshi.
I will add that when we arrived at Shira 2 the previous day we had met a gentleman at the ranger hut who was also cutting the trek short and was descending that day.
I continued on with our guide to Lava Tower for some acclimazation and felt fine that day although it was an extremely tiring day. My legs were like jelly by the time we reached Baranco Camp. Lava Tower is about the same altitude as Barafu Camp which is the camp before you summit so if you are fine at Lava Tower you should be fine at Barafu later on.
There was a sobering moment along the way to Lava Tower as we passed the grave of a porter who had died on the mountain. You really can't chance your health on Kilimanjaro as people do die while attempting it.
This is the day when the Lemosho route meets up with the Machame route before you reach Lava Tower and you continue on what is the Machame route.
There is actually a camp near Lava Tower and some people choose to stop off at it for the night depending on which route you're taking.
You can also see the Western Breach route which goes to the crater, it's one of the riskiest and most challenging routes to take and rocks are commonly known to fall along it and have stuck people, killing them.
This was an 8 hour climb that day, including stopping for my friend, and I was exhausted after reaching Baranco Camp. I knew the next day would be hard as you climb Baranco Wall and I'm scared of heights. I had an early night and went to sleep.

Directions: Mount Kilimanjaro - Lemosho/Machame route

• Updated Jun 22, 2015

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?