"Day 3" Kilimanjaro National Park Things to Do Tip by hayward68

Shira 2 camp with toilet hut
      Sunset at Shira 2
      More of Shira 2
    by hayward68

Day 3 started off so much better after a full night's sleep. I felt absolutely fine and was raring to go. We were off to Shira 2 camp for the night and it's a quicker day than day 2 and a much easier trek, not as much steep climbing, probably my favourite day of the climb in fact.
You can choose to take the Shira Caldera route to acclimatize but we didn't as we'd be acclimatizing at Lava Tower the next day.
Vegetation has really thinned out on this day and the terrain is much more arid and desert like. You get to see the peaks of Kilimanjaro in the distance, even though they never seem to get any closer! We also saw some amazing vegetation like Giant Groundsel
I believe it took us about 3 and a half hours to reach Shira 2 and while I was feeling fine my friend was starting to breathe heavier.
The sunset was absolutely amazing from Shira 2 and we could also see thunderstorms in the distance. At this height (12,220ft) you can see clouds below you and we watched lightning flash through the clouds in the distance.
It's a really dry, rocky camp and make sure you don't fall off a cliff when going to toilet huts in the dark!

• Written Oct 19, 2011

Comments

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?