"Day 2" Kilimanjaro National Park Things to Do Tip by hayward68

View along way to Shira 1
      Another uphill bit
      Shira 1 camp, first glimpse of Kilimanjaro peaks
    by hayward68

Day 2 did not start off well for me as I hadn't slept that night, mainly because the airline pillow that I'd planned on using had developed a leak on the flight to Nairobi, rendering it useless to me. I'd hoped that piling clothes beneath my head would help but they didn't. This would now be the 4th day in a row without sleep for me as I was unable to sleep our one night in Nairobi and our one night in Moshi. I managed to get a couple of hours sleep on the flight from Toronto to London but not a full night's sleep.
When I don't have enough sleep and I'm physically active as this trek calls for my body rebels and I'm sick. I managed a bit of porridge and tea before we headed off for Shira 1 camp but it would be a very long day for me.
This day is a lot of up and downs with a rest stop for lunch in a pretty valley with a stream. Unfortunately I was walking really slow and was sick a few times along the route.
The lush canopy you walk through on Day 1 eventually thins out on Day 2 and it starts to get a bit drier as you ascend.
Shira 1 hut is spread out on a flat plateau and is a bit quieter than the first camp as you're not so crowded together.
Due to my slow pace it took us about 8 hours to get to Shira 1, it normally takes around 5 hours.
Barely managed to eat any dinner at all, took a muscle relaxant guaranteed to knock me out and with airline pillow borrowed from my friend I managed to sleep.

• Updated Oct 19, 2011

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Kilimanjaro National Park?