Twigs: "Frowns upon family dining" Blowing Rock Restaurant Tip by chelle1230

Blowing Rock Restaurants: 10 reviews and 19 photos

A friend and I took my 6 yr old daughter to Tweetsie Railroad. After a long day of traveling, we wanted to try a unique local restaurant - not a chain. We decided on Twigs in Blowing Rock. The hotel front desk said they had good feedback about the food and that jeans were allowed (always a plus). We arrived at Twings around 7PM on a Thursday. The hostess was downright rude (ignored us for about 10 minutes without even acknowledging us even though she was at her podium most of the time). Once she finally spoke, she pushed papers around before finally telling us there were no 3-seater tables available, when the papers on the podium clearly showed several tables open (not marked for reservation either) and we could see at least seven 4-seaters available in the dining room. Our assumption, based on the way she looked at my 6 yr old daughter, was that it was due to the fact that we had a child with us. She suggested we dine in the bar (which is somewhat inappropriate for a 6 yr old). If we had not been tired from traveling all day, we would have left and written off the restaurant forever. However, we decided to take a peek in the bar, and when we saw open tables and a nice/child-safe atmosphere we decided to stay. The bartender, Nate, was WONDERFUL!! He gave us table-service even though we could have gone to the bar to order and checked on us at least 6 times throughout our meal. He was very friendly to all of us - especially my daughter, and he even had the kitchen make her special buttered pasta. Nate made us feel very welcome, which was a very nice surprise considering the first person you meet (which is the one that gives you the first and typically the lasting impression of the establishment) was so rude. If children are not allowed, or encouraged, it should say that in the Vistor Guide ads and the restaurant website. Luckily the food was great - duck confit, filet mignon, shrimp bisque. But as far as first impressions go, Twigs is not family friendly.

Favorite Dish: I cannot complain about the food. The duck cinfit was very juicy and cooked jsut right. It was served smashed potatoes, with a side of broccoli and cauliflower. Excellent! My friend enjoyed her filet mignon and even my 6 yr old loved the shrimp bisque.

Address: 321 Bypass, Blowing Rock, NC 28605
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located off Highway 321 bypass in Blowing Rock, NC, between the Village Inn and the ABC Store.
Phone: Phone: 828-295-5050
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 2
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.twigsbr.com

• Written Oct 18, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Blowing Rock?