SCANDINAVIAN HOTEL (Hargeysa, Somaliland): "SPECIAL STEAK !" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Restaurant Tip by DAO

Africa Restaurants: 143 reviews and 458 photos

by DAO
    by DAO
  • SPECIAL STEAK ! - Africa

I had noticed this hotel from the windows of the local bus on the way back to my hotel. From the outside it looked like it had a nice terrace and there was a sign about a restaurant. So that night I walked from my hotel, with an armed guard following behind, and presented myself at the entrance of their open courtyard.

The Manager/Entire Staff was sitting talking to his armed guard ? as you do. He was absolutely excited to see me and took me up to an airy upstairs dinning room and welcomed me like family. My guard of course stayed downstairss with their guard. He enquired as to my needs for a cold drink and before he set off he told me that tonight I was very lucky. For on this night they had ?Special Steak?. As he went off to get my cold cola I realised that he was letting me know the nightly special dish. I looked for a menu, but didn?t see any.

Quickly an ice cold cola was produced with a smile and a reminder We have Special Steak!?. I asked for a menu and this caused a little bit of a concerned look, but it was handed to me from a nearby serving table. After studying the nice liking menu I ordered a salad starter and a chicken dish that sounded good. ?Ah, no, we don?t have that dish tonight, but we have Special Steak!?. Hmmmm. No I will look at the menu again I thought. Then I saw a seafood dish that sounded more to my liking. ?Ah, no, we don?t have that dish tonight, but we have Special Steak!? Hmmm. As I stated to look at other menu options it hit me.

I was the only customer. They were not going to be able to afford to store lots of fresh food for very few possible customers. With that I handed the menu back and said ?The Special Steak sounds wonderful?. I asked what else came with it and the Manager/Waiter/Staff looked pleased. Before he left to cook my meal I explained that whatever food was brought to me should also be served to my guard.

With the smile and look on his face I knew I had just made 2 very good friends.

And the Special Steak? Absolutely wonderful and unique. It seemed to have a sort of green spicy (not hot) curry sauce on it. I absolutely enjoyed every bite.

I also was bale to have the Manager/Staff/Waiter/Cook take some pictures of the rest of the hotel for me. A very nice man.

My guard also enjoyed his meal.

Favorite Dish:
Special Steak, cola and (when he wasn't looking) some whiskey from a flask. If you get the opportunity to eat here, just let them serve you. It was a really nice experience.

Address: Airport Rd, Hargeysa, Somaliland
Price Comparison: about average

About 2kms from the airport, 1 km (easy walk) from the Ambassador Hotel and 5kms from the town centre

othercontact: scandinavianhotelhargeysa@yahoo
Phone: 529 777, MOBILE 426 250
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Oct 18, 2011

“???????ds ??o? u??q ???? p?no?s ? ???? ??s ? ?ou ??poq??os ?q o? p??u?? s????? ? '???? ?? ???”

Have you been to Africa?