VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Pleasant, but I don't get it." The Greenwich Gallery @ Linear House Tip by planxty

by planxty

I have given my opinions about modern "art" in other VT tips, I just don't get it. My experience of the Tate Modern, supposedly one of the premier places in the world was almost entirely negative. When I wanderd, therefore, into the Linear House gallery in central Greenwich i wasn't quite sure what to expect. What I got was one fairly small room with a lot of quite pleasant photographs on the wall, although somewhat spoiled by the pretentious written garbage accompanying them.

What really got to me however was the "installation in the corner. A disarrayed desk, a black jacket over a chair with more pretentious drivel chalked on the back of it, two jigsaw pieces on the chair, and that is art? How? A messy child, apart from destroying a perfectly good jacket, does that on a daily basis. OK, rant over.

If this is your thing, I have included all the details for your visit.

The gallery is open -

Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm
Sat & Sun: 12 - 4pm

Admission is free and it is fully wheelchair accessible.

Address: Peyton Place, SE10 8RS
Directions: Nearest DLR, Greenwich. Just up the road from St. Alfege church.
Phone: +00 44 (0)20 8465 5968
Website: http://www.thegreenwichgallery.com/home/4571001397

• Updated Jan 19, 2015

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Weird indeed...luckily it seems you did not have to pay at least!

• HackneyBird's Profile Photo
      Jan 19, 2015 at 1:36 PM

I'm with you mate! I don't see the point of Modern Art either!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
      Jan 19, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I used to live in Philadelphia and New York when I was a teenager for a couple of years. Every Sunday we would visit Museums and Art galleries. The most peculiar piece of modern art work I have ever seen which I totally found silly was at the Guggenheim Museum and Foundation. The so called piece of art were 4 pieces of flat plain wood painted in 4 different colours and that was it. Placed one next to the other!<br>As for the 'artist' with the bed sheets etc I definitely agree with you. How did he manage to exhibit this even for a day I wonder.

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Greenwich?