"Learn more about Romania with us..." Romania Favorite Tip by adema29

Moldovita Monastery
      Henri Coanda-Coandã-1910-First jet airplane
      aurel vlaicu 2
    by adema29

Favorite thing: I was always surprised about the lack of information you all (almost) ?the others? have about our country-Romania.
I will try to clarify here, shortly, some of the biggest confusions I have identified on my travels out of Romania.

The name of the Country2

Even if Romania is a relatively new name, first time being used in the XIXth century, Romanian people have a long common history, even if we were organized in few ?principalities? and it seems that we are living in the only country in Europe created around the same language, culture, traditions.
We have some other interesting characteristic, we are the only country in Eastern Europe which has survived to the Slavic migration with a minimum of changes.
We have used in the past the Slavonic letters, we have Slavic names of people and rivers and place, but the main root of the language is the Latin one.
And the evidence is that any Italian or Spanish or French can identify those roots just listening to us.
Of course we have been exposed to so many influences and we couldn?t face them without being affected.
If you're interested to find more (but not too much of course) about us and our History, you'll better take a look at the:

About Romania-Romanians-Romanes-Rome2

I was surprised and confused by a Dutch colleague (and unfortunately it was not only him), 100% convinced that Romania is the country of ?rroms? or ?romanes?, the well known gypsies.
And, because I am sick of trying to clarify the problem, I will copy here a very interesting link about the gypsies down here. Most of the information is real and I was surprised to find it written by an American.

Please be aware that is no connection between them and Rome/Romania/Romanians
They are all part of the same family, coming from Far East (North of India) and brothers with your gypsies in all the rest of Europe.
We have nothing with them and I have had some colleagues and friends among them.
Our ?tigani? are Romanians citizens with Romanian passport either and they are probably about 1 million from our 22 million population. The official number is around half milion while in Spain are living 650000, in France 500000, Bulgaria- 370000...
They were a lot in Scandinavia but they have been sterilised at the beginning of the last century if my information is good.
But from this point to all the created confusions that they were giving the name of the country? is a big distance.

The Capital- BUCHAREST 2

I was amazed first time when, coming back from Amsterdam, we were informed by the captain that we are going to land in Budapest, Romanian's capital.
But I was amazed only first time... after that I was annoyed by this.
I was really irritated when another crew gave us some forms in Russian language, being convinced that we are all speaking Russian fluently as we were part of USSR.
No, we don?t speak Russian and we haven't been part of USSR.
I have to recognize that my wife?s grandfather has studied in USSR and my father knew some words in Russian and even some lyrics.

What shall you know about Romania?2

If you want to impress your friends with you ?exotic? knowledge, you can tell them that:

Nicolae Paulescu,- Romanian professor of physiology at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest, was the first to isolate insulin

Teodor Mehedinteanu-First refinery ever built-Ploiesti 1857.

Petrache Poenaru- invented the world's first fountain pen

Constantin Brancusi- one of the most known modern sculptors

George Enescu- Romanian composer, violinist, pianist, conductor and teacher.

Henri Coanda-builder of an experimental aircraft, the Coandã-1910 described as the world's first jet.

Mircea Eliade -historian of religion, fiction writer, philosopher, and professor

Constantin Noica- philosopher, essayist and poet.

Eugen Ionescu- playwright and dramatist, and one of the foremost playwrights of the Theatre of the Absurd.

Traian Vuia- ?inventor and aviation pioneer?first well-documented unassisted takeoff and landing on a level surface by an engine-driven monoplane with a completely wheeled undercarriage?

Grigore Moisil-? mathematician, computer pioneer?

Ana Aslan -She is considered to be a founding figure of gerontology and geriatrics

Neagu Djuvara historian, essayist, philosopher, journalist, novelist, and diplomat.

Gheorghe Hagi ?football player

Nadia Comaneci -first gymnast ever to be awarded a perfect score of 10 in an Olympic

Ilie Nastase- one of the five players in history to win more than 100 ATP professional titles

Gheorghe Zamfir- The Master of the Pan Flute

Henri Negresco-The constructor/owner of Hotel Negresco on the Promenade des Anglais-Nice

The list is much longer but I am sure that if I will keep writting, the number of "my readers" will go down dramatically :)

Fondest memory: After the 1989 "Revolution" ( I was activelly participating, having a very small role in that scenario) the differences betweeen rach and poor is becoming to big... And it is not going to last forever as I can see it.
The middle class start finding it's place in the Romanian society and I am struggling to be part of that "class"as much as possible.
We are copying the western civilisation, much faster than the japanese after the second WW. Nobody realise this now but, if you'll look at what is happening now in Romania you'll be surprised.
With all our insatisfactions and the impression that we are moving too slow, the country is completely different comparing with Romania from 1989...
Everybody knows the "heards" of japanese taking photos with everything. We have been making jokes last summer in Turkey that one of our co-nationals used in the same time a camera and a video camera :)
I don't know if any of you have heard until now, but at the end of the XIX th century, Romania had the highest rate of economical development in Europe... It was a kind of a "miracle" for that time.
We are going slowly but surely to our place... and it will not be for long among the last countries in Europe as now.

It is enough for now... if you have any questions or if you want to learn even more about Romania, feel free to contact us on our e-mail address.

• Updated Oct 18, 2011

adema29 Lives Here!

“We are all the same, education makes the difference”

Have you been to Romania?