Dog & Gun: "Don't Miss the Goulash" Keswick Restaurant Tip by vichatherly

Keswick Restaurants: 22 reviews and 24 photos

Dog & Gun
by vichatherly

This busy pub is a great place to stop off for deinner after a days walking in the Lake District.

It was recommended by a friend, and so we popped in on the first night of our stay to see what it was like. A cosy somewhat smallish place, so come early to get a table, or be prepared to stand at the bar to wait for one.

Good beer and even better food.

Favorite Dish: When we first sat down at our table I looked across at others and saw that it seemed that the Goulash wasn't that tasty, as most people had left some on their plate. How wrong I was. It wasn't that the goulash wasn't good, in fact it was excellent you just the fact that you got a huge amount of it on your plate. Really tasty.

I suppose that after a long day's walking up and down the hills in the Lake District, you need some hearty food to prepare for the next day.

For my first visit I actually went for the half a roast chicken, although I was tempted into finishing off my wife's goulash. I went for my own goulash on my next visit.

We popped in on a few occasions sometimes having something to eat and sometimes for a decent pint and a crack at their weekly pub quiz.

An all round excellent pub, which makes you feel like a local as soon as you get in the door. It?s a real dog friendly place, so expect any crumbs from your table to be snaffled up by a nearby hound.

Turn up hungry and expect to relax your belt by a notch before you leave.

Address: 2 Lake Road, Keswick, Cumbria CA12 5BT
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: 017687 73463
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Written Oct 18, 2011

“Soaking up as much culture and beer as I can :)”

Have you been to Keswick?