Les Halles fresh produce market: "A feast for the eyes and the tummy!" Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Shopping Tip by CatherineReichardt

Avignon Shopping: 13 reviews and 28 photos

As you might expect, the Les Halles fresh produce market is a hall equipped with serried ranks of edible temptation - although surprisingly well ordered and subdued, at least when I visited (very early morning). I suspect that there must be a wholesale fresh produce market elsewhere, as this didn't seem to be big enough to service a town of this size, and also wasn't selling much in bulk.

I made a point of visiting because I was in search of Camargue red rice, which I tracked down in a wholefoods stall at the eastern end of the complex.

Unsurprisingly, the quality of the produce was outstanding, and in particular, the variety and presentation of the meat stalls - not usually my favourite displays - just made me want to purchase everything in sight and comandeer someone's kitchen!

I did note with some amusement that the design of the foodstuffs is not as exclusively Provencal as they might appear: a tempting pile of iced biscuits fashioned in the shape of European animals (elk, foxes, bears) looked awfully familiar becaause I bought an identical set of cookie cutters in Ikea last Christmas!

Even if you're not a foodie, the building is well worth a visit because of its highly distinctive 'living wall'. It is on the western edge of the complex, which abuts Place des Halles and would actually be easy to miss if you were walking close to the market, because the plants do not extend down to ground level, and are partially obscured by covered walkway.

Note that there is also a small tourist information centre at the Les Halles market (only open 10:00 - 13:00 daily).

Theme: Food and Drink

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Apr 12, 2012

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Avignon?