Langos: "Typical hungarian snack" Local Food Tip by Laura_Mexico

Local Food, Budapest: 18 reviews and 20 photos

Sweet langos @ the main market
by Laura_Mexico

This tip isn't about a particular restaurant, but about a snack that they say - or so I read somewhere - that you must try while in Hungary. You can find it in many places but it's rather a snack or sort of fast food, so you won't find it in most "big" restaurants.... it's rather small stands or specialized shops where you'll be able to find them. They are cheap, huge and fulfilling, so if you don't eat a lot (like myself) you can make a full meal out of one of these!

Langos are big flat circles made of dough (thick) and deep-fried in oil. Then you can put all sorts of toppings on them, both savory and sweet. I found a stand where they sold them just outside a metro station (they were closed at 2 PM so maybe the guy was having lunch or something, but after 4 PM they were open again) and they only had savory options: cheese, bacon, cream, beans, etc. But then I went to the big Budapest market and they had all these sweet treats to put on your langos: jam, sugar, cinnamon, syrup.... so I guess both are just as popular. You may see what langos look like in the picture, and also that right behind these "samples" they had a bunch of ingredients (cheese, onion, corn) to put on your langos. They were rather pricey in the market, since it's a touristy spot, but there are other places around town where you can buy them cheaper (one langos is probably 2 USD or so).

Favorite Dish: I asked for a cream-bacon-cheese langos and it was really good. The only thing I don't love about these things is that they are soooo saturated in fat and so greasy, that they just can't be too healthy, and you get all dirty while eating them too. But we have that kind of stuff in my country too, so I'm rather used to it and I did enjoy it.

Price Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Oct 17, 2011

Have you been to Budapest?