"The Springs and the Drinking Cure" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlovy Vary Favorite Tip by Kathrin_E
Karlovy Vary Favorites: 27 reviews and 37 photos
Favorite thing: Among the many thermal springs in and around Karlovy Vary, 13 are used for spa treatment and can be drunk. Very few have opening hours at all (the large thermal spring Vrídlo, for example), most are out in the open and accessible any time. The water is free to take.
There is an excellent overview of the springs on the homepage of the city, so I don't have to repeat it all here.
I am quoting the rules about drinking the waters from that website because they are important to know, especially for people with health problems:
" The Ten Rules of the Karlovy Vary Drinking Cure
Karlovy Vary thermal water is a complex, highly concentrated mixture of natural substances. It is not designed for ongoing or uncontrolled use.
- It is recommended to use Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water only after consulting a spa physician with appropriate erudition
- To achieve maximum therapeutic effects, it is recommended to use Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water nearby the places where springs flow open.
- It is recommended to use Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water only from traditionally shaped porcelain or glass cups.
- It is not advised to combine a therapeutic cure with the consumption of alcohol or tobacco smoking. Passive smoking should be avoided too.
- Drinking cure includes physical activity too. It is recommended to digest Karlovy Vary thermal mineral water while walking slowly.
- Drinking cure should be taken when you feel fully relaxed and not in a hurry.
It is recommended to repeat drinking cure at intervals set by your physician.
- Drinking cure is a small ceremony during which other clients must not be disturbed.
- Mineral water cannot be used to water surrounding plants or be discharged onto the colonnade floor.
- When taking spring water from a spring vase beware that it is not allowed, out of hygienic reasons, to touch the spring stand or the discharge tubes."
Fondest memory: Sipping the water while promenading the colonnades and the river bank is,as they say in the rules, almost a little ceremony. Celebrate and enjoy it. You are walking in the footsteps of many celebrities of the past.
A water cup is a must-have, and a nice personal souvenir.
Some springs run into plain stone basins, others from fountains with sculptures. The springs all have an archtectural frame. This can be a small pavillon or a large colonnade. The colonnades were built to protect visitors from sun and rain while they were walking, sipping their water, people-watching and being watched. Until a century ago no one wanted a tan, pale skin was chic and a tan was for peasants, hence the sun protection.
More Favorites in Karlovy Vary (2)
More Reviews (20)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Karlovy Vary?Share Your Travels
Latest Karlovy Vary hotel reviews
- Hotel Svycarsky Dvur
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2013
- Grandhotel Pupp
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Thermal
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2013
- Pension Romania
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- Villa Basileia
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 28, 2012
- Hostel Buena Vista
- 1 Review & Opinion
- TOP CityLine Hotel Aura Palace Spa & Wellness Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2012
- Heluan Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013