Health food and specialist food shops: "Sample local Camargue red rice!" Top 5 Page for this destination Avignon Shopping Tip by CatherineReichardt

Avignon Shopping: 13 reviews and 28 photos

Camargue red rice
by CatherineReichardt

Rice is one of my absolute all time favourite things to eat in just about any possible incarnation, and Camargue red rice is something that I've been looking forward to trying for some time.

I didn't have much time to shop in Avignon, and drew a blank with the few small supermarkets located in the city centre. However, I did get lucky when I rose at dawn on my last day to visit the Les Halles fresh produce market and found organic red rice at a wholefoods stall at the eastern end of the complex.

Red rice is a form of wild rice, which turns a distinct red colour on cooking. Some cultivated rice strains have a tendency to turn red, which is a warning sign for farmers that the rice is reverting to a wild strain (which is usually less productive and more difficult to handle, as well as out of spec with customer requirements). However the Camargue strain has been achieved by cross pollinating local wild and white rice strains, which have been stabilised.

I can't wait to experiment with this: watch this space!

Theme: Food and Drink

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Apr 12, 2012

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Avignon?