Whispering Sands: "Oasis in Hanksville" Hanksville Hotel Tip by goodfish

Hanksville Hotels: 3 reviews and 5 photos

King room: Whispering Sands

King room: Whispering Sands
  • - Hanksville
      Happy Hour with our motel neighbors
    by goodfish

This isn't exactly the only place to stay in Hanksville but, well, it's really the only option given the alternative. And as I mentioned in my intro page, it's one damn fine place, too. Whispering Sands turned out to be much better than I'd expected for the middle of nowhere: a little oasis in the desert. It may look a little austere from the road but the rooms are big, modern and very clean, and they come with all the stuff you need to be comfortable: coffeemaker, mini fridge, microwave, hair dryer, air conditioning, satellite TV and free wifi that worked like a charm. There's also a guest washer/dryer on site for dirty hiking clothes - a plus after one wet and filthy trek at Little Wild Horse - and they even provide rags for cleaning up muddy boots and equipment. Nice!

The staff is great - very friendly and helpful - and there's a huge parking area for folks driving big RVs, hauling boats, etc. The place was totally booked all three nights we were there so I guess the secret is out; reserve (by internet or phone) EARLY to hold your spot. They proudly display the "Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence" in the office window and I'll go along with that: great spot to hang your hat.

Note: the office didn't open until 3:00 PM when we were there, and I don't know if that's changed so you may have to kill some time if you show up early. And the coin washer can be a little temperamental but someone from the office will beat it into submission if you kindly ask them to. I'm listing price as per room and not per person.

Address: 90 So. Highway 95
Comparison: N/A
Directions: It's not possible to get lost in Hanksville - trust me on this one.
othercontact: whisperingsands@hanksville.com
Phone: 435-542-3238
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Motel
Website: http://www.whisperingsandsmotel.com/

• Updated Mar 14, 2014

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Sounds like a nice place to stay. Looks nice and clean.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

"flashing your room key" = 10%. Hmm, what kind of discount would you get from New Orleans style "flashing"?

goodfish

“Itineraries are for sissies”

Have you been to Hanksville?