"Wies Church - marvellous pilgrim church" Steingaden Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Steingaden Things to Do: 11 reviews and 42 photos

Wies Church and its idyllic setting
      Wies Church and its idyllic setting
    by Trekki
      Wies Church, main fresco at the ceiling
      Wies Church fresco
    by Trekki
      Wies Church, at one of the side altars
      Wies Church, inside
    by Trekki

What can be said about this marvellous church that hasn?t been said already? It is certainly one of Bavaria?s church jewels, with accolade by UNESCO, and receives countless visitors during the year. The story has it that a statue of Christ (The Scourged Saviour) which was in the house of a farmer family, suddenly showed tears in 1738, followed by answers to prayers. This lead to pilgrimages and soon the church was built. Dominikus Zimmermann and his brother Baptist were the builders and indeed constructed a masterpiece of Bavarian rococo. The centre of the church is oval, that is where the benches are and sitting there instead of walking around is in my opinion the only way to take in the splendour of the interior. Otherwise one might easily miss the many marvellous details. I was inside on my first afternoon, a sunny Sunday, together with many visitors and a noise level very much above the stillness that should be respected inside of any church. I walked around, looked at the moving votive panels, paintings and letters and tried to concentrate on the frescoes on the ceiling. But on my last evening, a cold and snowy Saturday evening I was alone in the church, the organist played (see ?Favourite? section) and I had the time to sit and look around. It was then when I saw the many many marvellous details, such as the little balconies near the ceiling, the many statues and angels everywhere and it was indeed only then when I felt the magic of this place. And this was when I was so moved that I was just sitting there, tears in my eyes, and happy to be on this planet.

The church is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. in summer and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in winter. How they define winter and summer is cute: when the daylight saving time is over, summer is over. No entrance fee, but it would be good to leave a donation. They have separate donation boxes for the church renovation.
Outside the church, in the small hall, is a rack with several brochures and booklets for sale. The one about the church is available in German and English and costs 2,50 Euro.

More photos in my travelogues Wies Church, interior and Wies Church, outside.

Location of Wies Church on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., October 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

continue with next review => nearby Ilgen with another beautiful church

• Updated Aug 4, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Steingaden?