"koh samui JET SKI Scam" On The Beach Tip by ask4gautam

On The Beach, Ko Samui: 6 reviews and 4 photos

Hi !

I just got back from a trip to Koh Samui and was unfortunately involved in a JET SKI Scam.

Me and 5 of my friends rented jet skis and paid about 850 baht for 30 mins, little did we know what we were getting into.

In the middle of the ocean, while the jet skis were stationary they barely touched each other due to a wave. I dont think that the touch was even enough to cause a scratch.

Anyways, we get back to the beach and the "boys" inspect the Jet skis and say we have damaged one of them and points to a SCRATCH on one of the jet skis. We feel that it may have been caused by us and offer to pay 1000 odd baht.

At this point the "boys" call the owner who comes and starts acting really angry. Considering there were 6 of us we also get all angry and an argument starts.

At one point in the argument the Boss of the jet ski place picked up a beer bottle and almost broke it on my head, he was looking at another man with him and asking him if he should. I also took an aggresive stance and i think that is the only thing which prevented them from getting violent.

I called the Police but guess what - THEY NEVER SHOWED UP.

I called up AMARI, Koh Samui where we were staying and they said they could not do anything to help and just advised us to try and get the jet ski people with us to the hotel for our safety.

The jet ski company is on CHAWENG BEACH, right in front of this place called THE LIBRARY.

Finally we talk our way out and ask him to come to the hotel.

He comes to the hotel after an hour and demands 20000 Baht !!!!

We talk to the manager of the hotel who tries to reason with him and he gives us a discount of 2000 Baht but still insists on 18000 baht.

When we refuse to pay he wants us to go with him to the police.

At this point we ask for the General Manager of Amari Hotel being sure that a senior person would be able to do something.

He advises us not to go to the police in ANY circumstance as that would make things more expensive with even the police demanding money, also the JET SKI owner can file a case on the basis of the agreement he made us sign and the police would ask for our passports and we would not be allowed to leave the country till we somehow pay.

We asked what would happen if we refused to pay and all he said was that it would get VERY nasty and even the hotel would not be able to help. Basically the JET SKI Owner would get lots of local boys and things would get very violent.

Basically we were told to PAY and finish this mess.

Looking at NO other possibility, we asked the general manager to get a local person to help negotiate, he got his F&B manager who was from KOH SAMUI and he brokered a deal for 15000 BAHT

Imagine paying 15000 BAHT for a scratch which also i think we didnt cause BUT HAD TO PAY.

And imagine threatening tourists with breaking beer bottles on their head.

The Police, Government, Local People are all involved.

I would NEVER go there again.

• Written Oct 14, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Ko Samui?