"Very Poorly Maintained & Dirty" The Inn at Horseshoe Tip by Kobirot

The Inn at Horseshoe, Barrie: 1 reviews and 0 photos

My husband and I stayed in one of the ?premium? suites at the Inn - for a romantic getaway to celebrate a milestone birthday. We booked this room "upgrade" primarily for the fireplace and the extra-large Jacuzzi. To say that we were ?underwhelmed? is an understatement; we were borderline disgusted with the quality/condition of the room.

The room itself was VERY poorly maintained, dirty and outdated (circa 1980's). When we arrived in the room, the walls were dirty, scuffed and had something that looked like food splashed on it. The casing around the closet door was pulling right off the frame. The bathroom was by far the worst ? our sink had multiple cracks in it, the faucets functioned poorly, the Jacuzzi tub was stained and grey/brown on the bottom (we didn't even use it because of this), and there were missing and cracked floor tiles with dirty/stained grout. Our disappointment didn't end there. My husband and I decided to have wine in front of the (VERY old electric) fireplace, but the chairs in the sitting area were so stained and dirty, we didn?t even want to sit in them.

We had also booked online to combine our stay with the Treetop Trekking adventure (which we were very excited about). Two days before our stay, I called to check when our time was for the start of the Trekking. We were advised that they did not have our reservation and, when we explained that we had booked our package online, the staff member said that their e-mail hadn't been working properly and that we should have called instead. From a business perspective, if you know that something isn't working properly and that it affects the quality of customer service, don't you get it fixed??

Hotel and restaurant staff were friendly, though, and the food at Sillks was very good. We had breakfast at Crazyhorse, where the food was mediocre at best. When I shared my complaints about our room with management at the Inn, they advised that they would offer us a "special" rate the next time that we stayed there. Since we have no intention on spending any other money at this poorly-maintained "resort", this was no consolation and, in our opinion, very poor business. We were also told that they had refurbished some of the rooms in the Inn. I'm not sure which rooms these were, but my hope would have been that they might have started with some updates to the rooms that were the MORE expensive to stay in?

My advice ... if you have a burning desire to see Horseshoe Valley, book some activities (by phone!) at the Adventure Park or go out for dinner there. Don't waste your money on the Inn!

Address: Rural Route 1, Barrie, L4M 4Y8, Canada
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Inn
Website: http://

• Updated Oct 14, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.