"Hostal Cloud Forest" Chugchilán Hotel Tip by MalenaN

Hammocks at Hostal Cloud Forest
      Hammocks at Hostal Cloud Forest
      Hostal Cloud Forest
    by MalenaN

I stayed two nights at Hostal Cloud Forest in Chugchilán. For a room with private bathroom I paid $12 per night (July 2011). Both breakfast and dinner was included in the price. My room was small but good. There was a table and a shelf and in the bed there were several blankets (but I asked for one more in the evening anyway). In the bathroom there was hot water, a soap, a towel and toilet paper.

On the verandas there are hammocks where it was nice to rest for a while, with a good book, after the long hike. There is a common area with a wood stove, but I never saw anyone sitting there, except by the old computer that was available there. After dinner it seemed like everyone just lingered in the dinning room before an early night to bed. Before dinner I chose to sit in the restaurant, where there also is a wood stove. Dinner and breakfast was then served in a room upstairs, dinner just after 19 and breakfast at 7.30. All tourists ate together.

After dinner a man from the hostels came around and asked the tourists which plans they had for next day. The ones who wanted to leave with the bus, pick-up truck or the lechero got information about these, and for the ones who wanted to hike to Quilotoa he draw a simple map the next day. Horseback riding tours can also be arranged.

In the restaurant you can buy water and some snacks. A small water bottle was $ 0.50 and a big beer was $3. If you have your own empty water bottle you can refill a big bottle with water for $0.50.
_____________________________________________________________________
Update 2012: Also in July 2012 I stayed at Hostal Cloud Forest for two nights and the price was still $12 per night, including breakfast and dinner. However there was no electricity in the area for several days and that meant there was no hot water in the shower. Luckily there was an engine that could be used and if we asked in advance we could have hot water in the shower (which of course is very nice after a long walk and when it is quite cold and windy outside).

I got the room next to the one I had had the previous year and it looked the same. The first night we were only three tourists and the second night we were 15 tourists. In the evening and morning we all ate together as last year.

When I left I was given a Cloud Forest T-shirt. I got very happy to get this from the kind people at the hostel!

Comparison: N/A
Phone: 03 - 281 4808
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Updated Dec 28, 2012

Comments

Have you been to Chugchilán?