"Steingaden - public transport or own car" Steingaden Transportation Tip by Trekki

Steingaden Transportation: 1 reviews and 1 photos

Inside Steingaden
by Trekki

I was here by car so I had all the freedom to come and go as I liked and to zigzag through the region as I liked. But when I spoke about this with the lady at my farm stay, she said that although public transport is quite good in the region (Pfaffenwinkel), it would be impossible to see all the sights I have seen by bus.
Nevertheless, Steingaden is conveniently located at the bus tracks between Füssen and Weilheim and Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Füssen, all towns in Bavaria which get a fairly big amount of visitors per year (especially Füssen with Neuschwanstein Castle nearby). Apart from that, public transport in rural areas is always good, because not everyone has a car and people do need to have possibilities to move around.

Train:
Steingaden does not have a train station, but the nearby towns of Weilheim, Peissenberg (Peißenberg), Peiting and Schongau do have and are connected to Munich. All these have bus connections to Steingaden. Have a look at Pfaffenwinkel?s ?Getting around? page: on the right hand side is the network for download (trains and busses).

Busses:
Bavaria?s ?Bayern Fahrplan? has an excellent interactive websitewhere you look up trips. However, this is covering all Bavaria, so maybe the several bus lines listed on the so-called:
RVO Weilheim part of Deutsche Bahn website
RVO Garmisch Partenkirchen part of Deutsche Bahn website
will give better information. (Regionalverkehr Oberbayern = regional service Oberbayern). The bus lines are linked to individual new sites with pdf download of the respective schedules.
Here is the schedule of bus line no 9606, which runs between Füssen and Garmisch Partenkirchen, with stops in Ettal, Oberammergau, Steingaden and Wies Church. This is most probably the most frequented bus by visitors to the region of southern Bavaria.

Other bus lines which stop in Steingaden (but not all at Wies Church) are:
9822 (circling between Steingaden, Rottenbuch, Peiting and Schongau),
9821 (Steingaden ? Schongau and back),
9651 (Füssen, Steingaden, Wies Church, Weilheim and back),
All individual schedules are available via the RVO Weilheim link above.
Don't worry if this seems to be available "only" online. It is not. Each tourist office in the region, the one of Steingaden included, will happily provide you with a 120 page leaflet of the bus schedules for the actual year.

If you come by car, there is a big car park area north of Steingaden?s market place. It is free of charge and from there it is a quick walk to the market place and Steingaden?s marvellous church.
Parking at Wies Church does cost a fee. However I did never check how much it is, because I had my parking place in front of the farm I stayed at.

Location of Steingaden?s parking area on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., October 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

This is the end of my description of Steingaden and surroundings. Thanks for having followed my tour. If you wish, please return to my => Intro page

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 21, 2013

Comments

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Steingaden?