"Alamo cars do not come with brakes" Playa del Carmen Warnings Or Dangers Tip by kiwarren

Playa del Carmen Warnings and Dangers: 47 reviews and 18 photos

We rented a car through the Mayan Palace resort with Alamo Car Rental. We got about 5 km sounth of the resort on the main highway when we needed to slow down for the speed bumps on the highway and discovered the car had no brakes. My husband frantically tried to stop the car but it would not slow down. We rear-ended a taxi doing about 70 km per hour. We were all wearing seatbelts so there will be no long term injuries to anybody in either car, however, the experience was very traumatic, especially to my husband who was driving. It wasted a few days of our vacation while we recovered from our injuries and our now seeing a chiropractor to help get our backs straightened out after the impact.

It took several days to finally speak to the Cancun manager who was apologetic and said that our credit card would not be charged (I should hope not!!). Now 6 weeks later there is a charge on our credit card from the hotel for about $5,000. We have disputed that with the credit card company and it is flagged as fraudulent. So much for their attempts to lure tourists back!

• Written Oct 11, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Playa del Carmen?