"Scholderhof ? views and eggs and milk :-)" Scholderhof in der Wies Tip by Trekki

Scholderhof in der Wies, Steingaden: 11 reviews and 2 photos

Scholderhof (the left building)
by Trekki
      Scholderhof (the left building)
    by Trekki
      Scholderhof, view from my southern balcony
    by Trekki

When I was looking for accommodation in Bavaria?s Pfaffenwinkel, I came across Scholderhof via Google Earth. It is nicely located directly next to Wieskirche (Wies Church). The price looked ok and I booked. What a good decision! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, especially since the masses of church visitors leave when the church closes or even earlier and then it is heavenly quiet. And of course the bed & breakfast was very good. They call themselves Bauernhof, farm, and it has a bit of an agriturismo although the farm as such is no longer active. They have chicken and horses, cats and a dog though. And a dairy farm next door. This guarantees wonderful breakfast, especially the eggs are very delicious and I also got fresh milk. The cows of the farm next door seem to be inside only during milking time; at least I heard the faint ring of their bells also in the night, when I woke up to go powdering my nose.
My room, called Wiesblick (Wies view), was spacious, a double room with balcony to the south. I had marvellous views (second photo), the church is to the left. Bathroom is with shower only, with sink and toilet and a hairdryer is available. I had a TV with digital receiver and some 100 stations I?d guess.
They also have apartments (Ferienwohnung) with fully equipped kitchens and all with balconies, either to the south or to the west. These apartments have 2 bedrooms, one with double bed and one with a single bed. And they have two (or more) e-bikes available for the guests to rent. Then there is a huge garden with kids? playground and the animals. I think WLAN is available, but I didn?t check because I don?t want to have internet access when I am travelling.

Staying at Scholderhof near Wies Church is a perfect base for anyone who wants to explore this part of Bavaria which is being called ?Pfaffenwinkel? = priests? angle, the part where most of the rococo churches are located. Wies and the farm are on the south-western part of this region but nevertheless the remote location off the towns and streets made it very much appealing for me. Ok, this works best for anyone who has a car. For people who have to rely on public transport it is not the best option, although there is a bus station nearby.

When I was there in October 2011, I paid 35 Euro per night, including breakfast and tax. This is a bit more than the price for a couple in the double room (25 Euro per person or 50 Euro for the room), which is ok, given that I occupy a room alone.
Sorry, I completely forgot to take photos inside, although I stayed here 3 + 2 nights... Have a look at the website, even though in German, on the second menu point "Wohnungen/Zimmer" the descriptions with photos are given for each room.

Location of Scholderhof on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., October 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

continue with next review => shopping options in Steingaden, and banks

Address: Wies 8, Steingaden, 86989
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: 0 88 62/4 68
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Website: http://www.scholderhof.de/

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 4, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Steingaden?