"Good Price and Good Location" North Star Hotel Premier Club Suites Dublin Tip by suvanki

North Star Hotel Premier Club Suites Dublin, Dublin: 2,327 reviews and 6 photos

North Star Hotel and Mc Coys Bar
      North Star Hotel and Mc Coys Bar
      Room 767 Premier Club Room
      Room 767 Premier Premier Club Bathroom
      Room 767 Premier Club Room
      Premier Sky Lounge
    by suvanki

I booked this 3* hotel through Booking.com, due to price and location. It is opposite Connolly Station, and 3 minutes walk to the Central Bus Station (Buras), 5 minutes to O'Connell Street etc.

Room Only - We paid 292.50 Euros for 3 nights. Breakfast is 9.95 Euros

Having read some of the reviews on this hotel, I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision - complaints of noise, shabby rooms, 'undesirables' hanging around etc. In the end we decided to stick with our reservation. I had seen on the hotels website that it was cheaper to book directly, so telephoned. The receptionist was pleasant and polite, and checked out the price, which would have been 176 Euros per night! (528 Euros!!)
She checked my original reservation through Booking.com and confirmed we had a Premier Club room with balcony.

The hotel was just around the corner from where the airport bus dropped us off.
Reception is on the 2nd floor by a flight of stairs - I'm not sure if there is access for mobility/breathing impaired.

The receptionist was polite, friendly and efficient, and we were checked in with no problems. Our room was on the 7th floor, reached along a corridor, with security key access to the lift/elevator area.

Well, we were quite impressed with our room - Spacious, clean, warm and comfortable.

King sized bed, wardrobe space, dressing table/desk, comfy chairs, 32" TV, Kettle with tea and coffee, hairdryer, ironing board/iron, safe.

Balcony (With views over the rail line/Connelly Station - Mountains in the distance!)

Bathroom with bath/ overhead rainforest shower, WC, Basin, towels, shower gel/shampoo/hand wash.

Our Premier Club Room also allowed us access to the Sky Lounge on the 7th Floor - Here we found bottles of still and sparkling mineral water and a selection of biscuits. Tea and coffee, Plenty of comfortable chairs and settees. Smoking is allowed on the balcony. (It's a long walk to the front door or pub beer garden for a smoke!) The Premier Suite rooms are non-Smoking (100 Euro fine to fumigate the room for anyone who does), though I did hear the receptionist asking guests that were checking in if they wanted a smoking/non smoking room.

There is a Residents lounge on the 2nd floor with a night Porters Bar.

Well, our room (767) was overlooking the railway line, so yes, there was noise from the regular DART and Commuter trains (This was one of the frequent complaints of reviews that I'd read) I hadn't brought ear plugs with me, and I am quite a light sleeper, but it didn't bother me too much - (The trains have slowed down to enter/exit the station, so aren't racing by) I'm not sure if the even numbered rooms experience any noise from the trains.

Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, but this isn't free - I couldn't understand why not!

Fitness Centre/Sauna basement - we didn't even go for a 'look-see'
Breakfast Buffet - 9.95 Euros (Fruit, Fruit Juices, cereals and Cooked Breakfasts)- We ate at 'The Pantry', 2 minutes walk from the hotel.
Restaurant on 2nd floor - The menu choice and prices looked reasonable, but we ate out.
Mc Coys Bar and Lounge open to residents non-residents. As we arrived late, we enjoyed a 'drop of the Black Stuff' here in the heated beer garden. Live music/karaoke nightly.

Check in -14.00 - 00.00hrs
Check Out 11.30-12.00

Left Luggage 3 Euros per bag.

Credit Cards - Am Ex, Visa, Euro/Mastercard.

All in All, I was pleased with this choice of accommodation, and compared to other similar hotels was good value for money. I'd stay here again if sharing a room (but would bring my ear plugs)

Unique Qualities: The hotel dates back to the early 19th Century, the Georgian building was originally a Railway station (Pre-dating Connelly Station by around 40 years)
It is mentioned in James Joyce's Ulysses Click here for part of James Joyce-Dublin walk, that visits The North Star and locality
The architecture of the hotel is a bit quirky, and from our balcony, we could see that part of the corridor from the reception on the 2nd floor runs under the railway.
The hotel was renovated in 2008, with the Premier Suites being formed.
The beer Garden of Mc Coys is built into the old railway arches.

The area around the hotel isn't the most scenic, but from our balcony we could see some of the more industrial architecture.

Opposite Connelly Station, with the DART line and trains to other towns and cities of the Republic of Ireland and Belfast in Northern Ireland.

The Luas Tram (Red Line) terminates at Connelly Station.

The 747 Airport link drops off around the corner on Talbot street and picks up for the airport from outside the Central Bus Station (Buras)
The Bus Station is busy with buses travelling to locations in Dublin and beyond.

Plenty of supermarkets, late night shops nearby(There is a licensed Spar shop just around the corner, which serves hot drinks etc to Take Away) plus cafes and pubs.

Address: Amiens St., Dublin, County Dublin, 1, Ireland
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Opposite Connolly Station.
othercontact: reservations@northstarhotel.ie
Phone: +35318363136
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.northstarhotel.ie

• Updated Oct 11, 2011

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Dublin?