Lodge du Chateau: "Comfortable, with great service" Gonder Hotel Tip by NedHopkins

Gonder Hotels: 23 reviews and 49 photos

Courtyard

Courtyard
      Dining terrace
      Room 3
    by NedHopkins

The 14 rooms of the Lodge du Chateau are set on both sides of an attractive garden courtyard. Those rooms are basic: no air conditioning (not needed) and no fan or heating (both of which would have been appreciated). Hot water is supplied by a heater next to the shower in each room; it must be turned on 30 to 45 minutes before it's needed. The beds are comfortable.

Meals are taken in a dining room that sits above the kitchen and is reached by outdoor steps. Room service is available, though I don't know why anyone would want it. (Instant coffee was poured from a thermos bottle; "cream" was powdered.)

Unique Qualities: Seymoun, the owner-manager, is especially helpful. When I realized I had to cut my stay short, he tried to find a car and driver to get me back to Addis Ababa earlier than the next day's plane would. Failing that, he called Ethiopian Airlines and changed my reservation. That was fortunate, as the one plane that day was entirely full.

None of this, however, came cheap. Seymoun charged me US$150 for the room (for all three nights I'd reserved, though I stayed only one) plus $50 for my half-day guide, another $50 for his services, and $20 for the van that took me back to the airport (the taxi on the way in was $10). In short, US$270 for my 28-hour stay.

Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Near the St George and St Michael churches.
A short walk down the main street from the central square, then up a hill.

Price: US$40-80