"Our Lady of the Way, Maryvale Catholic Church" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Off The Beaten Path Tip by Moirads

Johannesburg Off The Beaten Path: 32 reviews and 56 photos

This is the front of the church, view from street

This is the front of the church, view from street
    by Moirads
      The crucifix in the front entrance
    by Moirads
      The front altar with mosaic work
      Pieta at back of church
      The side chapel
    by Moirads

Maryvale is a Catholic enclave just north of Orange Grove off Louis Botha Avenue. I

t is best to approach this from the northern side of town, although if one does not have transport, there are a plethora of mini-bus taxis which go right up Louis Botha Avenue - but not the safest of travel modes, as I'm sure all the locals will tell you. Having said that I am happy to use the taxis when I need to, but then I don't look like a tourist in Johannesburg, mainly because I am not.

I visited this church for the first time in September 2011 and was blown away by how lovely it is. The priest informed me that it is over 100 years old, which represents a huge chunk of Johannesburg's history.

I found the people reasonably friendly, although for the most part they left me alone, especially when it was apparent that I was familiar with the liturgy.

After World War II the Orange Grove area was popular with former Italian prisoners of war who had been incarcerated in South Africa and who now bought their families to South Africa, together with their skills, culture and religion. Without a guide I was uncertain what art in the church belonged to which period, and I would have found it fascinating to make further discoveries about this beautiful church and its art.

Phone: 011 640 3154
Website: http://www.ourladyofthewayside.co.za

• Written Oct 7, 2011

Comments

Moirads Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Johannesburg?