"Mannequin Pis and the Flying Dogs !" Brussels Favorite Tip by DAO

Brussels General: 440 reviews and 549 photos

Favorite thing:
Somehow you are probably not surprised I have a story about flying American dogs and the celebration of a small child urinating in a public square. Yes, my one and only night in Brussels started with drinks in a bar and my tour guide telling me that he would show me and one of my friends a special piece of Brussels history. We were wondering what museum or castle we might see. Instead, after several hefty Belgian beers he took us into a small square and said something like ?Wow! Look at that!?.

?That? was Mannequin Pis. A small bronze depiction of a little boy with his winky out and peeing. Why they thought this was so great in 1388 mystifies me to this day.

So, underwhelmed and not yet unsteady on our feet we invited our (now much less respected) guide to follow us into the nearest bar where we could here music. As we entered I heard an American voice introduce themselves over the microphone. ?We are the Flying Dogs! Well that?s La Chienne Avion (French) to you!? And the band began to wail out some serious rock n' roll.

So now the gap in my French ?vocabulaire? was complete and we enjoyed proper Belgian history, culture and beer manufacturing so much that I don?t remember the rest.

• Updated Oct 7, 2011

“???????ds ??o? u??q ???? p?no?s ? ???? ??s ? ?ou ??poq??os ?q o? p??u?? s????? ? '???? ?? ???”

Have you been to Brussels?