"Hiking down the crater" Top 5 Page for this destination Laguna Quilotoa - Hiking down the crater Tip by MalenaN

Laguna Quilotoa

Laguna Quilotoa
    by MalenaN
      Path down to the crater lake, Quilotoa
      Laguna Quilotoa, Ecuador
      Laguna Quilotoa, Ecuador
      Accommodation in the crater, Quilotoa
    by MalenaN

There is a nice view of the crater lake (Laguna Quilotoa) from the view point in the village. And from there you will also find the path down the crater to the lake, which is 400 metres below the rim. The path is quite sandy at some points and it is easy going down. It took 30 minutes. Going back up again can be harder, especially if you are not adopted to the altitude. For me it took one hour to walk back up. If you know it will be hard you can rent a mule to take you down and up (or only up).

The lake is 250 metres deep and the water is alkaline. You can rent kayaks for $2.50/30 minutes (July 2011). But I didn?t see anyone doing that. There is a rustic hostel down in the crater and I went there to see if I could have coffee, but there was no one there. I sat down at a table to read for a while. It was very peaceful and it was nice to rest the legs after hiking from Chugchilán earlier that day. After a while a Spanish woman arrived and then someone returned to the hostel so we could buy coffee. The coffee was $0.50. The woman serving the coffee asked me if she could get my watch, and I politely told her I need it myself.
_________________________________________________________________
Update 2012: I had not planned to go down in the crater this year too, but as I couldn?t get a shower at the hostel (there was no electricity in Quilotoa at the moment) and it was very, very windy and cold up at the rim of the crater I decided to take a walk down. Since last year they have fixed the beginning of the trail with a few stairs and flowers on the side. As I came down a bit from the rim it was not windy anymore and it got much warmer.

Address: Quilotoa, Laguna Quilotoa

• Updated Feb 7, 2013

Comments

Have you been to Laguna Quilotoa?