"Take a photo with the parents of the Yulelads." Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

Akureyri Things to Do: 76 reviews and 201 photos

Grřla, Leppal˙­i and I.
  • Grýla, Leppalúði and I. - Akureyri
      Grřla, Leppal˙­i and I.
    by Regina1965

You can take your photo in Akureyri with the parents of the Yulelads, who are ogres. They stand in HafnarstrŠti, the main shopping street in Akureyri, and are quite grim looking and scary.

Here in Iceland we have 13 Yulelads, which are quite different from Santa Claus, but now we have all but adopted the American Santa Claus. There are records of names of 80 Yulelads, but somehow these 13 Yulelads have stayed with us until the modern times.

Our original Yulelads were spranksters and all of them have their special name. 13 days before Christmas the first Yulelad comes to inhabited areas and then a new one arrives every day until the last one arrives on the 24th of December. We Icelanders celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th of December.

The parents of the Yulelads are Grřla and Leppal˙­i (see my photo). Grřla is a very bad and grim ogre, and she eats badly behaved children, she comes to pick them up, puts them in her sack and then cooks them in her cauldron

Grřla and Leppal˙­i own the Christmas cat, he eats people who don't get any Christmas presents containing clothes. So you better get some soft Christmas presents if you don't want the Christmas cat to eat you ;)

Address: HafnarstrŠti, 600 Akureyri

• Written Oct 6, 2011

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to Akureyri?