"A quiet, small town" Reichenbach Things to Do Tip by GeoV

• Markt - Reichenbach
      Shop doorway, Markt
      Old Pharmacy (left)
    by GeoV
      Rear of Old Pharmacy (with cannonballs)
      Savings Bank
    by GeoV

If you are travelling between Bautzen and Görlitz, for instance, you might consider a brief detour to the quiet town of Reichenbach Oberlausitz, (to give it its full title). I first came across the place in 1989, a few months before the GDR / DDR began to fall apart, while travelling to Poland on a coach. After some hours of East German motorways, it looked very attractive indeed and I thought then I must return.

Finally, after 22 years, I did go back. When I say 'quiet' I mean that these photographs (and others) where not arranged so as to have no people in them - I only remember seeing two other people (and one of them was my wife). This Reichenbach has no waterfalls of note and, as far as we know, Sherlock Holmes never came here but, apparently, it was not always this quiet. It is centred around a large, open square, 'Markt', near which are the parish church of St. John (mostly 12/13th and 17th centuries with Baroque pews and galleries) and the remains of defensive walls.

At one end of the square are two buildings of note. As a plaque on the side wall records, the Old Pharmacy had Napoleon and Friedrich Wilhelm III as guests in livelier times. And the rear of the building has two cannonballs embedded in the wall. Opposite this is the Savings Bank, formerly an inn, with reliefs on either side of the door showing investors bringing their money to the bank - rather a nice 'free market' touch in the former GDR.

Address: About 12km west of Görlitz, off road 6

• Written Oct 6, 2011

“Who needs travel? Well, let's start with me, then there's my wife, then there's......”

Have you been to Reichenbach?