""Your shout mate"" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Local Custom Tip by tropicrd
Cairns Local Customs: 11 reviews and 15 photos
Be aware that it is 'normal' for Australians to get with a group of friends and 'shout' each other a drink. It is called 'a round' and when it is your turn you buy the drinks for whoever is in the group.
Some people may invite you to join them in 'a round' and if you accept you are then expected to wait until it's your turn to 'shout a round'you will hear "Your shout mate"
It can end up being an expensive 'round'as some of the group may be drinking spirits etc...so be aware before you say yes.
Most people prefer to stay in a small group so they can keep a tab on who's shout it is.
So don't be conned into joining just for the sake of of wanting to fit in or "shouting when you know it isn't your turn.----especially in a big group when someone may leave before it's their 'shout' and has had a bunch of 'free' drinks-- 'Shout' if you want to but be mindful of a con.
More Local Customs in Cairns (2)
More Reviews (123)
- See All Fairyland in Kuranda
- See All Cairns newest Tropical & Romantic...
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Drive on a dusty country road
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
tropicrd's Related Pages
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels