"VALTICE CASTLE - 2" Valtice Things to Do Tip by balhannah

Valtice Things to Do: 12 reviews and 22 photos

On entering the Castle, I climbed the stairs and entered the small room which was a souvenir shop and ticket office.
I needed an English tour, but one wasn't available for 3/4hour, I couldn't wait that long. Luckily, a small group came in, and I was allowed to join their group. I was given a manual, which described the room's in English, I didn't mind this at all!

We were shown through 17 rooms, furnished in the baroque and rococo styles. The ceilings were beautifullly done in guilded stucco and wonderful paintings.

The tour began, and we were told 'NO PHOTO'S"

So let me briefly tell you a fraction of what I saw...........

Our tour began in the dining room, or [Marble Hall] and here were Oriental cooking utensils. Next, was the Emperor Hall, decorated with ceiling paintings of the Greek gods.
The large Dancing Hall made an impression, with its false marble decoration and the gilded musical instruments, plus the chandeliers that were made from Czech crystal...beautiful!
Then we moved into the Picture Gallery, where there is a set of 29 paintings, including landscape's and scenes of life, we saw the largest ceiling painting in the Castle, "Goddess Diana on Return from Hunting."
The Hall of Ancestor's, as the names says, had portraits of the Lichtenstein family, and further on were portraits of Roman Emperor's.
More room's were the Prince?s Office, Bedroom's, Reception, and more I can't remember!
But there is one important one, and that is the Chapel with lots of stucco, painting's and marble-lined walls. It was beautiful, and is often used for musical performances because of good acoustic's.

I enjoyed my tour of this Castle, just disappointed no photo's were allowed.

If you wish to see what the inside is like, then click on the listed website, they have a photo gallery.

Well worth seeing!

Address: Valtice Castle
Website: http://www.zamek-valtice.cz/

• Updated Oct 5, 2013

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

(Oh dear Dee, please remember our recent mail conversation in context to another castle :-)

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Have you been to Valtice?