Damar: "A Feastful Of Macedonia" Ohrid Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Honeyed Ribs
  • Frontage - Ohrid
      Cheers Abby!
    by johngayton

I love a handwritten blackboard and that's what caught my eye as I passed restaurant Damar whilst doing my semi-aimless wandering around the old city. I popped in to have a look at their menu with a view to having lunch and was greeted like a long-lost friend, OK the waiter was touting but hey, why not?

Having enquired where I was from and finding out that I was Scottish he managed to do a pretty good impersonation of being absolutely delighted by the fact (though perhaps he would have been just as enthusiastic had I said I was from Outer Mongolia). Anyway I had a leaf through the menu which, with its emphasis on National dishes, had me drooling (almost literally).

The restaurant's terrace, overlooking the cobbled street on the way down to the medieval cathedral of St Sofija, was as inviting as the menu and so, promising my imminent return to my new-found best buddy, off I went in search of my lunch partner.

This was where Lady Luck had smiled on me as I'd bumped into my good friend Abby (the delicious chocolatecake) earlier that morning and we'd agreed to meet up for lunch and so now I had the perfect location and the perfect companion to share it with.

Favorite Dish: Having spent my morning investigating the old city up and down, to and from Tsar Samuil's fortress, I'd worked up both an appetite and a thirst. Fortunately Abby had been similarly occupied and so we were both ready to give the menu a serious assualt.

Our offensive began with a mountain of lightly-toasted crusty bread, snowily-capped with a cascade of tangy white cheese given a piquancy by the liberal sprinkling of smoky paprika. What was described on the menu simply as a "Wooden Platter" became our second front - locally-produced sausages, salamis, cheeses, cured meats and plump purple olives partisanly provided a stout opposition but were soon overcome.

Then it was on to our double-pronged attack on the house specials page of the menu (the page that I never read further from when eating seriously). The "Macedonian Sword", as wielded by my favourite waiter, would have defeated lesser combatants but the hefty chunks of chicken, pork and lamb were just too tender for our combined might. And as to the "Honeyed Pork Ribs", meaty, simultaneously sweet and savoury and perfectly glazed with just a hint of caramelisation - HA! these were soon chewed up and their bones stripped bare.

This certainly was a "Feastful" and I must admit we didn't manage the whole "Wooden Platter" nor the bread mountain (between which would have made for a more than adequate lunch by themselves) but not to admit defeat Abby had the leftovers wrapped as a doggy bag.

Yep an excellent lunch, fun company, and whilst not the cheapest place in town is definitely one of the best.

Address: Kosta Abras
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: In the old city on the street leading to the St Sofija cathedral from Car Samouil
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: https://www.facebook.com/people/Damar-Ohrid/100002134269503

• Written Oct 4, 2011

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Ohrid?