"Afriquia, Fuel Pump Scam" Morocco Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Stripy

Morocco Warnings and Dangers: 176 reviews and 133 photos

While driving from Agadir to Marrakech I stopped for fuel at Afriquia gas station. I think it was the Imintanoute rest stop, it's the one on the top of the hill at about 1200m/4000ft elevation. I asked the guy at the pump to put in 100MAD worth of fuel. He seemingly typed something in the pump and put the nozzle in. After a while he put it out and said he'd finished. I payed him but when I started the car, I saw that the fuel gauge hadn't moved at all and I was still almost on reserve. When I mentioned this to him he insisted that he fueled the car and that the gauge must be broken. After a couple of minutes of arguing in my bad French, I gave up because I had a plane to catch that day.

I went on to the next rest stop, afraid that I would run out of fuel, but I made it. There I fueled the car and the gauge worked normally. I don't know whether it was a scam or the guy was just incompetent. But when you fuel the car, before you pay check that there is the amount of money and fuel written on the pump.

• Written Oct 4, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to Morocco?