"Oktoberfest" Oktoberfest Tip by iaint

the throng
      the fish
      the prosecco
    by iaint

I can remember wishing for a trip to the Oktoberfest when I was a student, but term was always started (or about to start) at that time. In spit of its name, it was always in September - until it expanded to 3 weeks relatively recently.

So I made it at last in October 11.

A warm - hot actually - Sunday lunchtime. When the locals go, as opposed to touroids.

It is astonishing. First because the whole thing is huge. Then because the beer tents are enormous. And the crowds are big enough to match.

It is a funfair and not just about beer. But the beer is a big part.

I?m told that even on Sunday they queue up outside the beer tents at 9am before they open, and then there?s a stampede to get a table. You have to be seated to get served, so the table is very important.

You can book a ?box? - like at the theatre - but apparently it?s very expensive and has to be done 3-4 years in advance.

Each tent is for a particular brewery and you will only get its beer there. Plus it will only sell 1 kind of beer - its Oktoberfest special. Then, you will only be able to buy it in a mass - the 1 litre dimpled glass. So forget about a wee 0.3cl, or a glass of wine, or a weissbier. No choice.

We started in the Paulaner tent - busy but bearable. Then we tried the Hofbräu tent - pretty wild. The noise is quite something - hundreds of people roaring, and the brass band playing in the background.

It was tough to get served, so we happily headed back to the station about 2.30. A 3 hour visit.

What else? We had a prosecco and aperol about 12 to wash down the late morning coffee/cake - also got us in the mood for alcohol.

We had a steckerlfische - a traditional volksfest speciality. Barbecued fish - mackerel in our case. Delicious.

Beer was ?8.95. Say £7.50 per litre. Not bad by British standards, but expensive by local levels.

I?m really glad we went - it is special. But I?d not rush back.

Address: Theresienwiese, Munich
Directions: 1 stop on the u-bahn from the central station.
Phone: +49 - 89 23382802
Website: http://www.oktoberfest.de

• Updated Oct 3, 2011

iaint Visits Here Frequently!

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Have you been to Munich?