"Meet France's patron saint in Place Saint-Michel" Place Saint-Michel Tip by CatherineReichardt

Place Saint-Michel, Paris: 10 reviews and 29 photos

Dragon at Fontaine St Michel, Paris

Dragon at Fontaine St Michel, Paris
      Fontaine de St Michel, Paris
    by CatherineReichardt

The Archangel Michael has particular significance for me, as my secondary school was named in his honour. Even 30 years after leaving, I can still sing the first verse of our school song (an undistinguished Latin dirge called "Dux Michael" - "Our Leader Michael") word perfect, which makes me shudder to think of all the really useful stuff that I've forgotten over the same period!

St Michael is also the patron saint of France, so it wasn't too surprising to see him commemorated by a fountain on the Boulevard St Michel in the Latin Quarter, just around the corner from Musee de Cluny. It was intriguing to discover that the fountain was originally designed with a statue of Napoleon Bonaparte as the central figure, but as he fell out of favour in the mid 19th century, he was replaced by the more politically palatable patron saint. In truth, I have to admit that the main statue itself doesn't knock my socks off, but the attendant dragons are absolutely splendid!

This fountain seems to be quite a popular meeting place, so take it as a given that the surrounding area gets quite crowded in the early evening.

• Updated Jun 7, 2013

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Paris?