Le Train Bleu, Gare de Lyon: "Capture the Spirit of the Age" Le Train Bleu Tip by CatherineReichardt

Le Train Bleu, Paris: 9 reviews and 20 photos

Le Train Bleu, Gare de Lyon
by CatherineReichardt

Oh my word, this is the last word in Belle Epoque elegance, so regardless of whether you're looking to splash out on a really over-the-top gourmet meal amid sumptuous surroundings, or merely seeking a refuge for a restorative beverage before/after a long rail trip, this is the place to be!

Le Train Bleu at at Gare de Lyon is a no-holds-barred shrine to Art Nouveau architecture, which you will either love or hate, but are very unlikely to be ambivalent about - 'restraint' was not the hallmark of the era! The artwork is a technicolour onslaught to the senses, and although I find the lavish guilding and other overblown furnishings to be less to my taste, as long as I can admire the walls and ceiling, I'm deliriously happy!

As you might expect, this is not a budget place to eat or drink. However, in addition to the a la carte menu, the restaurant offers set menus which, though pricey, are not outlandishly expensive by Parisian standards. I didn't eat there, but I treated myself to a beer, which, at ?6 (which is about the going rate for a beer in a tourist location in Paris) also came with a handful of peanuts, five rather tasty green olives and a few scrumptious pieces of pickled garlic. All that in this stunning setting - bargain!!!

Address: Gare de Lyon
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +33 1 43 43 09 06
Rating: 5
Theme: French
Website: http://www.le-train-bleu.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Mar 31, 2012

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Paris?