"Don't be put off" Budapest Warnings Or Dangers Tip by TheatricalDelight

Budapest Warnings and Dangers: 204 reviews and 108 photos

More than anything else this is a response to the horror stories I've seen posted here. Budapest is a wonderful place to visit, as long as you remain aware/alert as is the norm whenever you travel to a foreign country. The mero system is simple, validating your ticket is a basic requirment for using the metro and other transport, same as certain other countries. Although you don't even have to worry about that if you buy a 3 or 7 day travel card which is what I tend to use.
Let me relate an experience I had while using a taxi. I stayed out in the center of the city one night past the puplic transport closing time which was worrying because the hotel I was staying in was more towards the end of town towards the airport and I didn't know or carry the address of it because I never needed to as I am fine getting around via the metro but now I was stuck.
I reluctantly went to the taxi stand near nyugati station and made sure I got a quote before I entered the cab. The driver spoke English but because my lack of address we ended up going to the wrong hotel. Being a lone female I felt pretty vunerable but the driver took it upon himself to make the phone calls needed to figure out what the address of my hotel actually was and then take me there. By the time we arrive we had gone around in a big circle yet he still kept to his original quoted price.
The bottom line is not all modes of travel end up in disaster due to crooked individuals. As long as you keep to the rules and legit cab cars you will be just fine

• Updated Oct 2, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to Budapest?