"A 4 star property, sort of" Shanghai Julu Garden Villa Tip by gaolei

Shanghai Julu Garden Villa, Shanghai: 9 reviews and 4 photos

My attic room, not what I expected

My attic room, not what I expected
    by gaolei
      The windows let in too much light in the morning
    by gaolei
      When I use the toilet, I hit my head.
    by gaolei
      The sink is in the bedroom, no room in the bath.
    by gaolei

I was worried when I arrived. The girl at the reception desk said, lets go look at your room before you check in. I was shown to a very small room on the third level in what most would consider an attic room. The ceiling was tapered to follow the roof contour, and the 2 windows were roof windows. The room was only 17 meters square. Clearly, this was not a room shown in their website. I was shown the business room as an alternative and expensive choice. It was beautiful. Unfortunately I budgeted for the small room and had to take it. I did not like the up-sell on arrival. For that reason my appraisal is 2 stars lower.

If you are going to stay there, look at my pictures of the room, you won't find it on the travel agency websites. In fact, their website leads you to believe you will get a room similar to the next size up room.

The hotel is actually quite nice. I did not like the size of my room or the slanted windows that cannot block the morning sun, but the hotel was nice.

Unique Qualities: The breakfast room is a reproduction of an old Shanghai mansion. Everyone sits around a bid wood dining table, like a family or a guest party. You get a chance to meet the others in the hotel. I think this is great.

The breakfast is good. You can chose Western or Chinese food for breakfast. Since I love zhou, rice porridge, I always took Chinese. There was plenty to eat, and the girl serving were very nice.

The grounds and the hotel are beautiful. It is just so quiet.

Address: No.889 Julu Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200040, China
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: At the corner of Julu and Changshu roads in the Puxi side of Shanghai, Jing An District.
Phone: +86 21 6445 7390
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Written Oct 1, 2011

Comments

gaolei

“It's a Strange Little World!”

Have you been to Shanghai?