"Hockey Fans" Prague Local Custom Tip by GentleSpirit

Prague Local Customs: 349 reviews and 432 photos

I boarded my train at Olomouc early on a Sunday morning, expecting that it would be a pretty quiet ride to Prague. If I was lucky I would even get a bit of shut eye after a night of partying in Olomouc.

It turned out to be a pretty fun ride. The train car was mostly empty. As I was stowing my bags one of the guys a few rows up turns around and welcomes me to the train, offering some of the bottle of vodka he and his friends were drinking. Though it was only about 9 am, the bottle was already half empty.

As it turns out there were about 15 of them, all supporters of a Czech hockey team (Vitkovice) and the almost 3 hour ride to Prague ended up being more like a combination of a party and pep rally. They were on their way to Prague to see their team play and they were fired up! When the conductor, a rather slight lady, would come in the car they would quiet down for a few minutes.

After Olomouc they put on their jerseys and started singing and cheering, they basically didn't stop until we got to Prague. The leader of the group was making sure his charges were getting enough to drink and singing with feeling. They came to talk to me for a bit, halfway apologizing for being a bit rowdy (I hope you don't get a bad impression of us, he said to me) It was all good fun and got a chance to see real Czechs showing off what they are passionate about.

We got spirit, yes we do! We got spirit,,,,how bout you!

• Updated Feb 21, 2013

Comments

GentleSpirit

“Getting there will have no meaning if you can't enjoy the ride”

Have you been to Prague?