"Sentiero Degli Dei" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Italy General: 753 reviews and 735 photos

Hello fishmonger
      Hello fishmonger
      Rabbits in the backyard
    by iandsmith
      Start of the walk at last
      It's official
    by iandsmith

Favorite thing: I wasn't sure whether to put this in Off the Beaten Path or not but in the end decided it was positively one of my favourite things in all of Italy.
After my first trip to Positano, I heard about this walk, the Path of the Gods. With a name like that it got my attention. It gnawed at me. I always thought that if I returned I would do this walk. I'd wondered if there was a way to see the Amalfi Coast from above and this was it.

Fondest memory: I came across another Aussie walker on Capri on the Via Matromania and he told me to catch the bus to Bomerano and then you'd find the start of it.
It involves first catching a bus to Amalfi and then the bus that goes to Napoli over the mountains. If that was all you had to do you'd have a good day. The ride up to Bomerano alone is worth the effort, gaining altitude a few kilometres north of Amalfi on a switchback road that leads you to thinking it must be going to be an exciting walk.
You will be thinking correctly. I'd been chatting with a Swiss tour guide who was taking a group to do a harder walk, one of several up in the mountains apparently. He indicated to me when I should alight but it was probably a bit early.
Not to worry, after passing a fishmongers and a backyard with a cage full of rabbits (pic 2) , I soldiered on up one dead end and then finally stumbled on the trail proper (pics 3 and 4).
Excitement welled up inside and I started out on my big adventure.

• Written Sep 28, 2011

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?