"Canal Trip - But Not in Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Winter Park Things to Do Tip by grandmaR

Winter Park Things to Do: 28 reviews and 74 photos

Low Bridge with another boat coming
      Low Bridge with another boat coming
    by grandmaR
      Signs at tour boat facility
      Pontoon boats for tours
      Venetian Canal sign
    by grandmaR
      Boat has just come through the bridge
    by grandmaR

I saw that there were boat rides around the Winter Park Area which is billed as "The Venice of America".and I decided that would be a good thing to do. The boat rides were every hour on the hour. We found a place near the boat dock, and had to decide whether to wait 40 minutes for the next tour, or go and eat and not have a place to park when we got back. We decided to wait. After we got our tickets (which were then $10 for adults and $1 off for AAA membership) we sat in a shed in the dock gazing out on the lake. The tours were on pontoon boats which were open (no bimini) which concerned me because possible sun burn problems. Since we had been there early, we were in the one that was loaded first and were among the first called, but the front seat was taken, so I sat in the back. There was a speaker by my knee, but I had a little trouble hearing the guide sometimes.

We soon found out why the boats had no tops. In the 1880s, canals had been built to float the logs out. These canals have been repaired and can be used to go from one lake to another, but the boats have to go under road bridges, and the bridges aren't high enough for the boats to have biminis.

The sky was overcast, so it wasn't as sunny and hot as I thought it would have been.

We went from lake to lake, and saw Rollins College, and the Art Museum and several parks from the shore. In one case, we had to back out of the canal because someone else was coming through, and in another instance the three tour boats were almost through the canal and met two other boats coming the other way. The boats closest to the entrance have to back up.

It was an interesting trip and I got a lot of photos

Current times and prices (2011)
Open Daily 10:00am through 4:00pm (Except Christmas) Tours Depart on the Hour!
Adults - $12.00
Children (2-11) - $6.00 (Tax Included)
Under 2 Years Old Ride Free!
Cash or Check Only.

Address: 312 East Morse Blvd. ~ Winter Park, FL 32789
Directions: On Lake Osceola less than 10 minutes from downtown Orlando
Phone: 407-644-4056
Website: http://scenicboattours.com/home.htm

• Updated Sep 27, 2011

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Winter Park?