"Augustusburg Palace: History" Augustusburg Palace Tip by Kathrin_E
Augustusburg Palace, Augustusburg: 12 reviews and 47 photos
The prominent location on the hilltop was already occupied in the middle ages. The Knights of Schellenberg built their castle here. Later the grounds became property of the Dukes and Electors of Saxony. The medieval castle Schellenburg burnt down in two fires in the early 16th century.
In 1567 Elector August of Saxony decided to build a new palace which was to serve as hunting lodge. The ruins of the castle were torn down. Court architects designed a complex of four wings around a square courtyard and four tower-like "houses" on the corners. A second courtyard surrounded by stables and other economy buildings was attached to the Southern side. The palace was surrounded by fortifications with bulwarks around the corners.
As supervizer and organizer, Elector August hired Hieronymus Lotter, Mayor of Leipzig. In Spring 1568 the consturction works started. The first corner house, Sommerhaus, was completed already in the first year. In the following year 1569 the three others and the palace chapel were erected. Completion of the wings between them took another year. August was disappointed about the slow progress of the works. He wanted all corner houses to be ready and inhabitable by the end of the year. Painter Heinrich G÷ding began the frescoes in some rooms and halls.
However, in 1571 the works were still unfinished and the costs had risens notably. August was upset and fired Lotter. Other architects were in charge of the rest. On January 30, 1572 the new palace was inaugurated. There was still some work to do inside, and the bell tower was still missing, but these were done soon after. All in all the construction of this large palace took no more than four years, which is not very long for a building this size, compared to others.
In 1614 some refurbishments took place. The big Saxon crest and the inscrioptions on the Southern wall of the courtyard give testimony of these. One inscription contains a chronogram with the date 1614 in Roman numbers (which takes some imagination to decipher, though).
Address: Schloss, Augustusburg
More Things to Do in Augustusburg (11)
More Reviews (7)
- See All Walk up from the Train Station
- See All Bakery with some Particularities
- The Town
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Have you been to Augustusburg?Share Your Travels