"Managing your time in Puerto Rico" Puerto Rico Favorite Tip by joiwatani

Puerto Rico General: 106 reviews and 105 photos

Just imagine how far is this to walk!
by joiwatani

Just imagine how far is this to walk!
    by joiwatani
      One of the parents in our group
      Second day at the El Morro
      Department of Tourism- meeting place
    by joiwatani
      Group divided into five and one leader
    by joiwatani

Favorite thing: Travelling with a big group is really difficult and a real challenge because each one has their own agendum.

If you are travelling with a group and you know that each one is very responsible, it is better to have a meeting place that is at the center of San Juan and that it is easy to find and divide the group into two or three's or four's (depending how large your group) and let their group decide where to go. Decide on what time you are to meet at the designated meeting place.

In old San Juan, our meeting place was at the front of the Department of Tourism - which is close to the parking lot where we parked our van and it is easier to find. We decided to split our group and have one leader and they decided where to go - visit the El Morro castle or go shopping.

When you decide to visit the El Morro castle, understand that there's a lot of walking involved and it is very far to walk (for young ones, it is okay but not to elderly people). Consider the time you walk to the front of the castle and going inside to explore the castle and have enough time to get back to your meeting place.

Four hours is about right to explore only one castle and still have a lot of time to check the local stores in old San Juan.

If I were to decide, I would stay two days in old San Juan so I have enough time to explore the two castles. I was not able to explore the San Cristobal Castle because of lack of time and I kind of regret it in the end. I just saw the front of it.

Fondest memory: Shopping in San Juan is so nice because they have so many unique arts and crafts. I just love window shopping and looking at the doors of old San Juan. I also love checking out the old castle of the San Felipe Del Morro.

We are very lucky to be able to explore almost half of Puerto Rico for a very cheap price. We only paid for our airfare and our food and accommodation was all donated by the Rotarians. And, we were sponsored by the local Rotarians of Humacao, Maricao, Yauco, Ponce, and Gurabo.

• Written Sep 27, 2011

Comments

joiwatani

“Buy yourself and your children the experience of travel”

Have you been to Puerto Rico?