"Check out Cairns Pioneer Cemetery" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Off The Beaten Path Tip by tropicrd
Cairns Off The Beaten Path: 52 reviews and 147 photos
The Cairns Pioneer Cemetery is interesting yet sad at the same time,it looks run down and a lot of the graves and tombstones are hard to read and in ruins.
The early settlers who came to what was a tropical wilderness full of unknown dangers must have been very draining--mind,body and soul.A lot of these early pioneers died at a young age from maleria,accidents and childbirth.
Most of the white settlers had tombstones and fenced in gravesites but,the Chinese (mostly market gardeners),indigenous people and labourers only had a small stone to mark their resting places.
It rests under gum trees and pine trees and is peaceful.
A rotunda has been erected in the grounds with all the names of pioneers who were buried here inscribed on plaques with some history regarding the Cairns area.
It is open from 6am to 10pm-it is not fenced but the police patrol the cemetery after dark because it has been trashed in the past with graffiti painted on the graves.The Cairns Council erected a fence 2012 to stop the vandalism in this cemetery after many complaints by concerned citizens.
othercontact: Cairns Council Customer Service.
Phone: 07 4044 3044
More Off The Beaten Path in Cairns (13)
More Reviews (118)
- See All Mango Madness
- See All Cairns newest Tropical & Romantic...
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- See All "Your shout mate"
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
tropicrd's Related Pages
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels