"Street touts" Tour Scams Tip by Stever53

Tour Scams, Beijing: 61 reviews and 34 photos

Wangfujing street . You get just so many guys coming up to you with " Hello , where you going.." Where you from" . Of course it is the start of a scam . After doing research on sites like this , I find the best way is to totally ignore them . Treat their words as part of the traffic noise , not requiring any response for you at all . They soon see you are not a potential victim and give up in 5 seconds .
Even looking at them and saying "no" gives them an 'in' to start a conversation . And it will take another minute to shake them .

Fun Alternatives: However I had an experience that goes against all the warnings . Yes I was in a side street trying to buy a phone card . "Tom" spotted me and asked if he could help . My defences went up immediately . He followed me into shops and helped me ask for a phone card . Now all this is sounding like the start of a tale of woe , right ? Not so .
He was 41 years old it turned out , and Mongolian . Not your usual scam artist . He had a business card with phone numbers and email address , and tour price list . I started to talk to him in a more relaxed way . OK to cut a long story short I booked a Forbidden city tour with him for the next day . 200rmb plus entry fees . Everything went very well . No rip off . Booked him again for next day . long trip with car to Jinshanling Great Wall . 600rmb including car , driver and Tom , plus highway tolls and entry fees . Again , everything was just fine , actually a great day as now he and I were talking like old buddies . And again two more days and day long sight seeing trips with car , driver and Tom . All went well with no rip off . Of course I could have gotten it all cheaper but I was so glad to have someone I came to trust .
So , yes there are rip offs and if you are approached by an English speaking guy in the street , chances are you will get ripped off or annoyed . But there are other Chinese people just making an honest living offering their services to people on the street .
So here is "Tom's" mobile number in Beijing . 12340498125 Fixed line : +86-10-81305152
I haven't been able to get through on his email so I won't give you that . Tell him Steve the Australian sent you .

• Written Sep 25, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Beijing?