"Four candles?" Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Off The Beaten Path Tip by planxty

Broadstairs Off The Beaten Path: 11 reviews and 13 photos

Harringtons shop, Broadstairs, Kent, UK.
by planxty

I don't know if readers will have seen the absolutely classic comedy sketch by the British comedy duo, theTwo Ronnies (Barker and Corbett). It has been voted best sketch in the history of British comedy. If you haven't seen it, I have posted a link here.

There is a bit of Broadstairs folklore associated with it. The shop pictured is the simply wonderful Harringtons which is worth a visit in itself, it is an abolute cornucopia. It is situated at 1 York Street. I visited recently to buy a French bean cutter (long story, don't ask) and was amazed at what was available, I kid you not, they have everything from a single screw to sets of saucepans to builders supplies and just about everything else. Anyway, I know that some years ago, Ronnie Corbett had a holiday home just across the road (behind the Charles Dickens pub if you are interested) and was in the place. He was so enthralled that Ronnie Barker subsequently wrote the iconic skit based on this place. So there you have it. Fork handles.

Website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cPyVZsfOzs

• Written Sep 25, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2015 at 3:42 AM

Thanks for the link. As a non-British person, I think I would have to watch this about ten times if I wanted to understand everything.

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Aug 24, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Indeed so, it is very much a thing of language, specifically London and the Southeast. People form perhaps Lancashire or Norfolk would not talk like that.

planxty Visits Here Frequently!

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Broadstairs?