"HARPA - our new Concert Hall by the harbour." Top 5 Page for this destination ReykjavÝk Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

ReykjavÝk Things to Do: 623 reviews and 2,054 photos

Harpa in October 2012.
      Harpa in October 2012.
  • A concert in Norðurljós hall. - Reykjavík
      A concert in Nor­urljˇs hall.
  • Fundraising for the Farao Island´s resque team. - Reykjavík
      Fundraising for the Farao Island┤s resque team.
      Harpa at Christmas 2011.
  • - Reykjavík

Finally our new Concert Hall, HARPA, was finished and opened to public in 2011. It had been so many years under construction. Before the crisis hit us Icelanders in October 2008 one of our entrepreneurs and bank-owner decided to raise a Concert Hall - a private enterprise - and give it to the nation. But while Harpa was under construction, the entrepreneur went bankrupt, leaving the half-finished Harpa construction in jeopardy of being destroyed. Nobody knew what to do, the nation was half bankrupt, but a lot of money had been put into Harpa already, so the decision was that the nation take over the construction of Harpa thus delaying its erection a couple of years. But in the summer of 2011 we finally managed to open it to public.

Now it houses The Icelandic Opera and our Iceland Symphony Orchestra.

Harpa is quite beautiful with its glass windows (imported from China). I have still (September 2011) only been to the cafÚ there called Munnharpan where we listened to a Jazz concert. Will add more photos when I visit one of their halls for a concert. I have taken photos of the erection of Harpa for several years and have added a travelogue on my ReykjavÝk page.

In December I listened to a lovely concert in the Nor­urljˇs (Northern Lights) hall. It was a fundraising concert for the Resque team in the Farao Islands after a big storm hit the Farao Islands in December 2011. There is a special bond between Iceland and the Farao Islands, we are like siblings.

At night Harpa is lit up and the lights imitate the Northern lights, very lovely.

Directions: By the harbour, north of LŠkjartorg square, cannot be missed.
Phone: 354 5285050
Website: http://en.harpa.is/

• Updated Dec 26, 2012

• smartlash's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Our guests want to visit the harpa. maybe you can go with us?

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jul 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Yes, I could :) The trip tomorrow to Eyjafjallaj÷kull was cancelled, but Ana and I will be going there on Tuesday instead.

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to ReykjavÝk?